9.16.2008

Tonight's Menu:

Filled-French Toast

I'd really rather not admit my snobbery and poor decision, but it's true. Andrew and I snobbishly passed over all the other breads at Whole Foods Friday night because the French bread was fresh...still warm in fact!! Well, it doesn't take a rocket scientist, or even an urban planner, to realize that the bread currently (Tuesday) sitting unsliced on my counter is now the same temperature as all the other poor leavened loafs left on the shelves that fateful night. So to send my condolences, I will be making the Filled-French Toast for dinner, before it molds. The French toast was neglected on Saturday in lieu of a breakfast date at the Norquist's.

"Filled?" you think to yourself. Filled. It's true. "How's she gonna do that?" you say aloud. Well wonder no more. I'll just give you the recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 1 loaf French bread, sliced into 12
  • 4 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup strawberry jam
  • 2 cup milk
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon

Directions:
  1. Mix together cream cheese and jam. [Really difficult without a mixer, trust me, the old fork doesn't do the job]
  2. Spray 13x9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
  3. Arrange 6 slices of bread in dish.
  4. Spread cream cheese mixture equally on slices of bread; top with remaining bread.
  5. Combine next milk, eggs, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon. Pour mixture over bread; sprinkle with pecans [Yuck, don't do it!]
  6. Bake uncovered, at 350 for 35 minutes.
  7. Enjoy!
I'm not sure if this helps make it look more appetizing, but it was divine! I should also mention that I didn't really follow the instructions (no surprise), so good luck if you do! That whole 5 eggs, 2 cups of milk thing kind of freaked me out. I was going for French toast, not quiche, so I just made it like regular french toast by dipping it into a smaller egg mixture.

3 comments:

  1. How was dinner? You should freeze a slice, place it in a cooler, and overnight it to me so that on Friday morning I can see if this recipe is worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimmie,

    You must have gotten the recipe from me. I'm such a good cook.

    Or did you get it from your mom. She is the master chef.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimmie, when did you learn to cook? I could use a chef. Again, pack your bags and move home. I'll leave some dirty dishes in the sink so you will feel right at home.

    ReplyDelete